How To Effectively Use Hashtags On Instagram
To effectively use hashtags on Instagram, follow the below points:
- Track your insights and see which hashtags are working for your posts.
- Research hashtags used by your competitors and industry leaders.
- Avoid using banned or spammy hashtags.
- Dont use hashtags that are not relevant to your content.
- Use only 5-10 hashtags to get optimum reach. Dont stuff your caption with the entire limit of 30 hashtags.
- Dont use the same bunch of hashtags in every post.
How To Effectively Use #hashtags For Online Branding: 11 Best Practices
If you are not using hashtags on your social media posts, you are missing out on a great deal of engagement. They have become an integral part of any social media marketing strategy. By using relevant hashtags on your posts, you can make sure that your content reaches a maximum number of people. They can increase the reach, visibility, and engagement rate of your content, which is basically the goal of all your social media efforts, right?
However, if you are unsure of how to use hashtags properly on different social media platforms, this blog will practically make you a pro at it.
Dont Use The Same Hashtags In Every Post
You cant use the same bunch of hashtags in every single post, even when you create content around similar topics. The social media algorithms dont find this practice favorable and it can lead to a shadowban, especially on Instagram. So, you need to do your research before uploading every single piece of content. Definitely, you can use some common hashtags in every post.
It can seem like a daunting task to write hashtags manually while uploading every post. To avoid that, you can use a social media scheduler like RecurPost, which lets you store unlimited bags of hashtags and name them. You can then use those hashtags and schedule those posts in advance using the same tool.
Recommended Reading: How To Allow Snapchat Access To Camera
Where To Find Good Keywords
I hope youre already using keywords on your blog. There are lots of great articles and YouTube videos on how to do keyword research. Here are a few tips:
Keyword research is the process of finding and analyzing search terms that people enter into search engines with the goal of using that data for a specific purpose, often for search engine optimization or general marketing. Keyword research can uncover queries to target, the popularity of these queries, their ranking difficulty, and more.
Here are free keyword search tools to try:
Dont forget that you can also use Google Search Console for keyword research as well.
Pinners Can Easily Find Your Content Via Hashtags
Pinterest search board allows you to type hashtags when searching for a specific item or content. You need to discover the right hashtag for your pins, and they will land on the right pages or be easily found by the target audience. can help you in coming up with relevant hashtags. The more people discover your hashtag, the higher the chances it will feature in the search result feed. This has a ripple effect as your pin generates significant engagement from those audiences who would not have seen your content.
Don’t Miss: See Private Tweets
Get A Social Media Listening Tool
A tool like Hootsuite lets your brand use search streams to discover which hashtags are the best for each social network youre on. Put simply, search streams make it easy to see which hashtags are the most popular and the most effective.
Bonus:Read the step-by-step social media strategy guide with pro tips on how to grow your social media presence.
Learn more by watching this video:
How To Use Or Add Hashtags To Pins
Like in any other social media platform, you can create hashtags by merely typing a word or a phrase after the pound/hash symbol. Yes, it is that simple. It does not matter if your pin is promoted or not your pin will appear if it is relevant and fresh content when someone else searches for the hashtag you used in your pin.
You can also edit or change your hashtags in your pin by editing the pin description. It is recommended that you use hashtags at the end of your pin description. If your older pins do not have hashtags and you are thinking of going back and adding hashtags to them, then it would be best to leave them as they are.
Hashtags are a new way to reach users interested in your content. When a user searches a hashtag, the freshest pins with that hashtag will appear at the top of the feed. When a user searches the same phrase without the hashtag, it will pull up the original search results page.
Also Check: Linkedin Recruiter Trial
Dont Forget To Switch Your Hashtags Up
Creating multiple, slightly different Pins for the same blog post is common practice now for bloggers and marketers, and this gives you the perfect opportunity to increase your reach using different hashtags.
If you create 3 different Pins, create 3 little groups of hashtags to use with them.
- The first one could have #ChocolateCake #DessertIdeas #DarkChocolate
- The second one could have #ChocolateCakeRecipes #Chocolate #Baking
- The third one could have #BestChocolateCake #CakeRecipes #EasyChocolateCake
All three of them contain different hashtags, so it doesnt matter what combination of words is searched for, your Pins will have a higher chance of being shown.
What About Hashtags And Promoted Pins
Hashtags do not help or hurt Promoted Pins. Promoted Pins dont appear in hashtag search results. At least, not yet.
The only change in relation to Promoted Pins is that you are no longer limited to one hashtag.
However, one of the great things about Promoted Pins is that people tend to Save them. So, to get those repins into hashtag search, use hashtags in your Promoted Pins.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Sign Out Of Pinterest
Tip 1 Choosing Hashtags
Before choosing hashtags for your business, consider the following tips:
- Use relevant keywords or phrases that relate to your pinâs content
- Be specific and descriptive
- Avoid crazy or vague hashtags with less than 100 users
- Utilize brand hashtags
- Use perfect timing and have an objective
- Give the branded hashtag priority so that it is the first to be seen
- Combine broad and niche hashtags
How Do Hashtags Work On Youtube
Just like on every other social media platform, hashtags on YouTube help users in discovering your content. However, since searching content using hashtags isnt the normal practice on YouTube, you need to work more on your Title, Description, and Tags. Include your targeted keyword in the title and description.
And for tags, include phrases that are related to your video content. For example, if your video is on iPhone 12 review, then you can use tags like Pros and cons of iPhone 12, Detailed iPhone 12 review, etc. You can then include 5-10 relevant hashtags at the end of the description.
Recommended Reading: Red Square On Snapchat
Place Hashtags At The End Of Your Description
Although your target audience may find your posts through your hashtags, theyre more interested in what you have to say.
Thats why you should make sure the post description comes first, before the hashtags. This gives users the time to read your description, skim over the hashtags, and scroll on. If you begin with hashtags, people are less likely to read your description at all.
Be Succinct Not Spammy
You have to be very careful while using hashtags in your posts. We all have seen posts filled with hashtags like #followforfollow or #likeforlike. It definitely looks spammy and shows that youre screaming for attention. Using such hashtags can bring you some new followers, but those will not be the kind of followers that you are looking for theyll mostly be spammers or people who are only interested in getting a follow back and are not there for your content or products.
Recommended Reading: How To Share Gofundme On Snapchat
What Does This Mean For You
Welp, this means that the Pinterest algorithm may be suppressing pins that contain hashtags in the descriptions since its now associated with the spammer mcspammy faces.
I guess Im going to spend my afternoon deleting hashtags from my blog + my clients Tailwind queue.
Ive added this information to the to make sure everyone knows about this change. If you havent gone through the Guide, theres no better time than now!
Sign up for the guide by hitting the button below, and Ill show you what you need to do .
Make Sure You Include The Evergreen Hashtags Too
Evergreen hashtags are hashtags that are relevant all-year-round, perfect for using to promote blog posts that are also relevant throughout the year. Your black jeans-based outfit would absolutely suit evergreen tags like, #outfits , #outfitoftheday , and #outfitideas .
I found all of these hashtags by spending 5 or 10 minutes tapping out # ideas in a blank, not-to-be-published Pins description box on my phone and seeing what else comes up.
When you do this, make a list of all the hashtags you think might be relevant in your posts, and then use in them in future Pin descriptions.
Also Check: Free Twitter Followers Fast
Use Trending Hashtags Only If They Are Relevant
Trending hashtags are continuously changing. Thus, its important to see whats buzzing online at the moment of creating posts. However, dont just use any trending hashtag in your post. Check and use it only when it relates to your brand. If you see a trend that is relevant to your brand, then grab the opportunity and engage by using the hashtag in your posts.
This will make your posts reach a much larger audience instead of just your followers. Using trending hashtags as soon as they emerge will enable you to connect and build relationships with your targeted market before anyone else.
Analyze Which Hashtags Were Successful On Past Posts
Keep track of which hashtags youve used on past posts. Analyze which posts have been most popular, then see if theres a trend with the hashtags youve used.
If you notice some of your most popular posts always contain a few of the same hashtags, make a point to include those in your future posts as well.
Read Also: What Does Scoop Mean In Snapchat
How Do I Add Hashtags To Pins
Hashtags for Pins go in the description.
I recommend placing them at the end of your description, and not peppered throughout your carefully-crafted sentences.
Remember that hashtags are clickable, so give Pinners a chance to read through to your call-to-action before getting distracted to click away to a hashtag feed!
To add a hashtag, type # and add a keyword or phrase.
This changed in 2020: Youll ONLY get hashtag suggestions when creating a NEW Pin in the mobile app. This is still true in April 2021. See screenshots below.
Start typing the hash mark followed by a word, and youll see suggested hashtags pop up with a number following.
The hashtag suggestion feature is no longer available on desktop, at all.
Increase Engagement With Your Followers
Including hashtags in your posts means taking part in a conversation happening on that social media platform. And most importantly, it makes your posts visible in that conversation.
This can lead to greater engagement, boosting your brands social media engagement through likes, shares, comments, and new followers.
Also Check: Twitter Unblock Site
Keep An Eye On Influencers And Competitors Posts
This is a quick way to get a list of hashtags that have been working for others in your industry. Start by collecting the social media handles of your competitors and relevant influencers within your brands niche. Scan through their posts on different social media platforms and see which hashtags have been producing results for them.
If you also intend to create similar content, there are high chances that those hashtags will work for you too. Take note of the hashtags that they use and how often they use them.
The Foundations Of A Quality Pin
- A compelling vertical image. As a visual-first platform, creators are tasked with capturing the pinners attention with fantastic visuals. Dont overlook the importance of your image. Pinners will see your picture first, determining the following action of continuing to scroll or saving it within their own boards. You can include your logo or a watermark, a powerful text overlay that drives action , and an image or video worth slowing down the thumb scrolling action.
- Good branding. Once your Pin goes live, it can have repining power for months. Leverage this opportunity by incorporating your branding into your Pin in a non-intrusive way.
- Great description. Consider this the copy for your Pin, but do not imitate the type of copy you would write for other platforms. We will dive deeper into this later, but your description should be clear and straightforward.
- A clear call to action. I mentioned this above, but CTAs can make or break your conversion. The CTA for your Pin should have visibility on your image and within your descriptions that drive pinners to act. Its also okay to leverage FOMO . Habitually, pinners can pin something today with the intent to click on those items later. Be mindful of this behavior and make swift action a priority in your Pin messaging.
Also Check: How To Delete Cutouts On Snapchat
Using Popular Hashtags To Show Up In Hashtag Searches
Marketers turned popular keywords into hashtags in an effort to get more attention on their pins.
Why using popular hashtags got results in the past
Hashtags were clickable and displayed in the search feed just under the image, resulting in clicks of the hashtags direct from the search feed.
Why popular hashtags dont yield results today
- People dont search hashtags on Pinterest, instead using keywords and keyword phrases.
- As a result, theres no longer a hashtag search results feed for these hashtagged results to surface within.
How To Use Youtube Hashtags
Optimal number of hashtags to use:
Where youll find hashtags on YouTube:
Add a few hashtags in your brands YouTube video title or in the video description.
Remember: Dont use more than 15 hashtags. YouTube will ignore all the hashtags, and maybe even flag your content because of your spammy behaviour.
YouTube hashtags arent the only way to help users find your videos. We have 12 tactics that will help your brands videos get views.
A couple essential hashtag tips:
- Hashtags are hyperlinked in titles and descriptions, so followers can find other content with the same hashtags by clicking on either.
- If you dont include hashtags in the title, the first three hashtags in the description will show above your videos title.
Read Also: How To Insert Bullet Points In Linkedin
How Do You Use A Hashtag On Facebook
When hashtags were first launched for Facebook, there was no positive effect seen on the reach of posts. In fact, posts without hashtags outperformed those with hashtags! However, a study made back in 2014 revealed that using hashtags was not an issue using excessive and irrelevant hashtags was. So, in order to take advantage of hashtags on Facebook, consider using no more than 1-5 hashtags in a post.
Should I Add Hashtags To Old Pins
People often ask if they should go back and add hashtags to older Pins.
You can, but it wont help your content show up at the top of hashtag search feeds. Newer Pins with that hashtag will appear first.
If you want to change or add a hashtag, just edit the Pin description. Since hashtag searches turn up Pins based on when they were Saved, dont edit old Pin descriptions to add hashtags.
Do add hashtags when doing a new Save of a previous Pin. Now youve got a fresh one!
Also Check: Snapchat Ft
Where To Use Hashtags
A big note here use the hashtags at the end of the description or in between the description, but not at the beginning. You do not want your reader only to see the hashtags. They will look salesy, and people tend to shy away from such posts.
Also, a mobile view will show everything, so your reader will not miss the tags. When viewing with a desktop, some characters are often cut at the end. This is why you could opt to add a hashtag in the middle.
One more thing make sure that the hashtags are not making your description unreadable. The idea is to inform and not just bombard your readers with hashtags and keywords. Authenticity proves the quality of a post, even before a reader decides to carry on to the content page.
How To Use Facebook Hashtags
Optimal number of hashtags to use:
Where youll find hashtags on Facebook:
Hashtags can be included in any part of your written Facebook post or in the comments.
Hashtags are also useful for grouping content in private Facebook groups by theme or topic. This is important for brands to keep in mind considering .
You can also:
- Search for a hashtag using Facebooks search bar.
- Search hashtags used in private Facebook groups using the search this group bar under the groups menu.
A couple essential hashtag tips:
- Because so many users profiles are private on Facebook, remember that its more challenging for brands to track how users are interacting with your hashtags.
- Monitor your brands hashtags and see which public profiles are joining in the conversation by using the URL facebook.com/hashtag/_____. Include the keyword you want to search at the end.
You May Like: How To Remove Social And Promotions From Gmail App
Benefits Of Hashtags With Your Pins
- Promote brand awareness When McDonalds changed their breakfast timings to an all-day breakfast menu, they promoted this using the hashtag #alldaybreakfast.
Hashtags have become a way to make consumers aware of offers, sales, and new product launches. Also, adding just the companys name as a hashtag to all company posts helps consumers find all your content in one search.
- Brings content writers closer to their readers If your posts have hashtags relevant and closest to ones that your targeted audience uses, you are in luck. This results in your pin being most relevant on hashtag searches and increases readers chance to go to your pin. Since you provided them with the exact information they wanted, your chance of being followed by them also increases.
- It helps readers and consumers find exactly what they are looking for Pinterest hashtags can be particular and is extremely useful to search for required content. For example, searching #ketorecipes will show the most relevant and trending pins related to the keto diet and recipes. Because Pinterest hashtags are not used as memes or jokes, they can get the necessary information in no time. This helps users to avoid spending time sifting through irrelevant pins to find the ones that are required.