Tips Before Your Account Is Compromised
- allowing you to secure all of your passwords in one secure location for easy reference and automatically generate strong passwords
- Change passwords regularly
- Create unique passwords with a mix of letters , numbers, and symbols that are free of personal information, common words or sequences
- Use different passwords on individual accounts
- If youve been hacked and use the same password on other accounts, go through and individually change that password on each account to avoid being hacked again
- Hackers often access social media accounts after first hacking an email account, so be sure to change your email account passwords as well
- Revoke access from any suspicious third-party apps
- Enable login verification when possible, providing two-factor authentication in order to further protect your accounts
- Never give out your password
- When you have recovered access to your account, be sure to review your Account Settings and update all information including changing email addresses and passwords
Taking the following security measures can be beneficial for preventing hacked accounts:
Check out our post on password security for more details on creating and storing secure passwords.
Hopefully, you will be able to stop a hacker before they are able to get further, but if not, take the following steps to recover your hacked account:
How To Recover Hacked Social Media Accounts
Hacked social media accounts happen more and more. A hacked account should be addressed immediately before a hacker has the opportunity to cause damage or gain access to more of your accounts. However, people often find themselves unable to recover their accounts simply from a lack of guidance on what to do.