How To Make Your Twitter Account Private On Desktop
1. Go to and log into your account.
2. Click the Notifications tab on the left side of the screen and locate the small cog icon to the right of it. Click it to go to your Settings page.
3. Under your user name, you’ll see the Privacy and Safety menu. Click on this to reveal a list of options.
4. Click “Protect your Tweets” and a pop-up will launch asking you to confirm that you want your Twitter account to be private.
Make Your Twitter Account Private From A Desktop Computer
The process works for any Mac or PC.
Itll take you about five minutes. And while you are it, we recommend you check all the privacy options.
After you check everything, we¡ll be ready to start.
Next, to protect your tweets:
- Step 1: Open Twitter on your computer.
- Step 2: Click the three-dot icon on the left corner of your screen.
- Step 3: Select Settings and Privacy .
- Step 4: On the Settings page, click Audience and Tagging.
- Step 5: Therell be a box next to Protect your tweets. Tap Protect Your Tweets.
- Step 6: Youll get a warning that when you Protect Your Tweets, theyll be visible to your current followers only.
- Step 7: Tap protect.
Next, youll have to tap save changes, so everything goes through.
From there, you can modify who can tag you and write a new password as well.
Here Is How To Unprotect Your Tweets:
- To unprotect your Tweets, follow the above instructions: For web, uncheck the box next to Protect my Tweets. For Twitter for iOS and Twitter for Android apps, uncheck the slider or box next to Protect your Tweets.
- Be sure to review your pending follower requests before making your Tweets public. Any requests left pending will not be accepted automatically. If left pending, those accounts will need to follow you again.
- Please note that unprotecting your Tweets will cause any previously protected Tweets to be made public.
Also Check: Add Picture To Tweet
Make Twitter Account Private On Desktop
Your account has now been privatized!
You should see a lock symbol next to your name on your profile, and you will now be able to choose who can follow you and who cannot. Moreover, your tweets cant even be retweeted anymore. Read on to see how to accept followers.
How To Make Your Twitter Account Private In 2021
Whatever you post on Twitter is simply peoples business! More than 206 million active users on Twitter to view, like, and retweet your tweets 24×7.
Now the thing is, not everyone is comfortable sharing their thoughts or content with the world. Perhaps youre a private person and want to share tweets with just family and friends.
So, what can you do?
Well, you can switch your public to private.
A private Twitter account gives you privacy. You can decide who sees your tweets, follows, and followers. With a private account, only your followers will be able to see your past and future tweets.
But how can you make your Twitter account private?
Thankfully, switching to a private Twitter account isnt a difficult task. All you need to do is, follow the steps weve mentioned in this article.
But, before discussing the steps, lets answer some common FAQs related to private Twitter account:
Don’t Miss: How To Find Archive Mails In Gmail App
Make Your Account Private From The Twitter App
The following instructions work on any Android and iOS Device.
- Step 1: Open the Twitter app.
- Step 2: Tap on your profile photo on the top left corner of the screen.
- Step 3: Scroll down and tap Settings and Privacy.
- Step 4: Tap Privacy and Safety.
- Step 5: On Privacy and Safety, tap Audience and Tagging.
- Step 6: Select Protect Your Tweets or Protect My Tweets.
On the settings and privacy menu, you can alsoturn off sensitive contentfor your account.
What Happens When You Make Your Twitter Account Private
Not much else happens, just what we previously described.
In short, these are all the differences youll see after making your Twitter private:
- Only your followers will see your tweets.
- Youll receive a New Follower request notification whenever someone wants to follow you.
- Youll need to approve all follower requests.
- People you reply to wont see your replies unless they follow you.
- Youll still be visible.
You May Like: If I Mute Someone On Instagram Will They Know
How Do I Make My Tweets Visible To Everyone
5 Ways to Get More People to See Your Tweets on Twitter
Takeaways For Those Who Said Tl dr
- There is no trick to view protected tweets of other users
- The best way is to ask their permission via email or a mutual follower
- If someone has access to an account, they can send you screenshots
- Third-party websites are all scammer. There is no such thing as Password Recovery method or other similar claims
- Never trust a hacker to help you uncover private data. Its illegal and dangerous at the same time
- There are currently no known bugs on TWTR to let you hack into protected or public profiles
- If you had found a bug, let the Twitter support team know and get your bounty reward
- And Finally, please, dont be a stalker. No one loves them.
Read Also: Bullet Point In Linkedin
What Are The Benefits Of Making A Private Account
Some people might be wondering why anyone would want to make their account private in the first place? Not everyone is happy for the whole world to be able to see what they share regarding what is going on with their life.
Someone might make their account private if they:
- Broke up with someone recently or are wary of stalkers
- Donât want their content stolen and used in unsuitable places by those trying to create fake accounts or claim the work as their own
- Need to keep their identity safer, including where they might be, who they are with, and other relationships
- Screen who can see their material and information instead of opening up part of their lives to the public since they approve whoever can view private Instagram accounts
Here Is How To Make Your Twitter Account Private:
Step 1: Open the Twitter app on your phone.
Step 2: Then tap on the More icon that appears as three dots.
Step 3: Now go to your Settings and privacy.
Step 4: Go to your account and scroll over to account information and input your password.
Step 5: Scroll down to Protected Tweets, tap on the arrow, and check the box next to Protect my Tweets.
Step 6: You will be prompted to select Cancel or Protect, select Protect.
Recommended Reading: How To Sort Pinterest Boards Alphabetically
How Do I Get Rid Of Sensitivity On Twitter
To stop Twitter from marking media you upload as sensitive, choose menu > Settings and Privacy > Privacy and Safety. Ensure Mark Media You Tweet as Containing Material That May Be sensitive is unchecked. This option is available on the web and in the Android app but not in the Twitter app for iPhone and iPad.
How To See Protected Tweets
The most ethical method is to send a follow request. If the person has blocked you, keep in mind that they can still see your tweets. So, maybe pin an apology tweet? Here are some other ethical ideas:
- Find their IG or other social media accounts. Most people are not fully private on all platforms. So, give it a try and see if they are a public user on other apps, so you get a sneak peek.
- Ask one of their current followers to hand your message. Please write a short paragraph about why they should accept your request and send it indirectly.
- Write an email. Again, please explain the reason why you want to read their tweets via email. .
How To Make Your Twitter Account Private From The Iphone App
You can also change your privacy setting from your iPhone app. Follow these steps to do so:
Keep in mind that while making your Twitter account private prevents new visitors from seeing your tweets, the function is not retroactive. This means that any followers you acquired before setting your account to private will continue to view your tweets. However, you can delete accounts from your following list if you want your tweets hidden from them.
How To Make Your Twitter Account Private
This article was co-authored by A.J. Aldana. A.J. Aldana is a social media specialist who has been using platforms such as Tik Tok, Instagram, and YouTube for over 5 years. A.J. has worked with brands to curate content that has garnered thousands of interactions for various social media campaigns and is passionate about contributing to innovative and trending articles on wikiHow. He holds a BS in Product Design from Stanford University.The wikiHow Tech Team also followed the article’s instructions and verified that they work. This article has been viewed 1,401,889 times.
Your Twitter account is set to public by default, but you can make it private so that only approved users can subscribe to and view your tweets. Read this wikiHow to learn how.
Don’t Miss: Snapchat Story Symbols
What Happens Afterwards
After approval, the users protected tweets will display as normal tweets that you simply can view from the Twitter platform. A thing to note here, is once you create an account, your profile is public by default . Your tweets are often there to be seen by the 500 million+ active users. This happens to be a touch extra overwhelming if youre a personal user.
So, following different methods, youll view private tweets. If you would like to use Twitter to talk with family and friends, having numerous eyes on your content wont be what you wish . So, what do people do in that case? Well, as me, youll also protect your Tweets.
Now, lets see how to view Protected Tweets.
Why Is Twitter So Toxic
Limited Character Count. While a 280-character limit is the defining feature of Twitter, it can also be considered one of the reasons why is Twitter so toxic. The limited character count that users get to voice their opinion can often lead to incomplete thoughts on the platform, creating confusion and misunderstanding.
Also Check: What Does A Grey Square Mean On Snapchat
How To Make A Twitter Account Public To Private
Log in to your Twitter account with your username and password. Click on your Twitter Account profile Icon. Click on the Settings and Privacy . Click on Privacy and safety . Scroll down, check the Protect my Tweets . Scroll down to the bottom of the settings page, and click on Save changes . Unprotect your tweets.
Making Your Twitter Profile Private On Your Phone
Now that your Twitter account has been made private, it means that your tweets will no longer be visible to the public. Your tweets will now only be visible to people who already follow you, and moving forwards, people who want to follow you will have to send you a request that you can choose to approve or deny.
However, as Twitter notes, it is possible that your tweets can still be captured via screenshot and shared publicly by someone else, so its not exactly the most perfect scenario, but it should still be good enough if youd rather avoid having random strangers on the internet see and comment on your tweets.
You May Like: How To Allow Camera Access In Settings For Snapchat
How To Set Your Twitter Profile Off Of Private On An Iphone
Twitter’s privacy controls give you the power to determine who can and cannot see your tweets. This feature, accessed via the Twitter security panel, is not available for editing in the official Twitter app for iPhone. However, visiting Twitter through the iPhone’s Safari browser allows for a quick workaround that will enable you to adjust your privacy options just as you would from your PC or OS X Web browser.
Tap the Safari icon to open the iPhone’s Web browser.
Navigate to Twitter and log in to your account. Touch the Me tab to open your profile.
Touch the gear icon to open the Account pane. Tap Settings, and then touch Edit next to Account and Privacy.
Uncheck the box next to Protect my tweets. Enter your Twitter password in the open box.
Tap Save to apply your privacy setting changes.
Why Are My Tweets Protected But Still Showing Up In Search Results
After you have protected your Tweets, only you and your followers will be able to read your updates and see your Tweets when searching for them on Twitter.
These Tweets will no longer be visible to the general public or displayed in public Twitter search results if you previously had them visible to the general public. On the other hand, unprotecting your Tweets will result in any once protected Tweets being made public.
However, if your tweets ended up on a different platform, they might still appear in search results. When it comes to content on other web pages, Twitter does not have the capacity to remove it.
Also Check: How To Merge Snapchat Accounts
Protected Tweets On Twitter: How Do They Work
When you create a Twitter account, your profile is public by default. Your Tweets have the potential to be seen by up to 271 million active users. This can be a little overwhelming if youre a private user. If you want to use Twitter to chat with family and friends, or as a micro-blog, having so many eyes on your content might not be your thing. What can be done? Well, you could protect your Tweets. Heres how, why, and what it means to have protected Tweets on Twitter.
Protected Tweets on Twitter gives you privacy and the ability to control your information, similar to how a private Facebook profile can restrict everyone but your friends from seeing your status updates. With Twitters user base rapidly growing and brands, family, and friends creating accounts, sometimes you just want to create an account to communicate with them privately. This is where using protected Tweets and a private account is perfect.
Who Is An Instagram Stalker
An Instagram stalker is someone who is abnormally concerned with one or more specific profiles. Their behavior may constitute anything including checking an account several times in one day, keeping tabs on any of the userâs actions, repeatedly checking stories every time there is an update and other related activities.
An Instagram stalker may do these to abuse the user, to check on them consistently, or to try to find them. These actions are not always malicious, though, but can occur just to check up or out of boredom.
Recommended Reading: Change Twitter Password Iphone
How To Manage Follower Requests On Twitter
Making your account private means that people cant follow you instantly. Whenever someone wishes to follow you, a request will be sent, and you can choose to approve or deny it. Heres how:
The process is similar to managing follow requests on Instagram.
Revealing A Hidden Twitter Account
To make your hidden Twitter account public again, click the gear icon, select Settings, select Security and Privacy, deselect the Protect My Tweets option and then click Save Changes. Manually reversing your decision and changing to a public account from a private one makes all tweets publicly accessible and searchable again through Twitter and search engines. All restrictions are also removed. As a result, Twitter users can reply to and retweet your tweets at any time, as well as copy them to other websites.
Recommended Reading: How To Change Emojis On Snapchat
How Do You Clear All Your Tweets On Twitter
How to delete all tweets on your Twitter account
How To Make Your Tiktok Account Private Or Public
TikTok is an inherently public platform, but not everyone wants a public profile, which is why it’s easy for users to change their privacy settings.
TikTok is an inherently public platform, but that doesn’t mean accounts can’t be private. The current darling of the social media world rewrote the rules on how users’ home feeds are populated, serving its short-form video content by algorithm only rather than by what friends or connections are posting. It’s a formula that’s worked, with TikTok boasting somewhere north of 800 million monthly active users, but not everyone may want 800 million people able to view their profile.
The notion of setting social media accounts to private first came about with Twitter after its launch in 2006, with its accounts public by default but users able to set them to private and approve or reject follow requests. Prior to that, Facebook’s early approach had been to allow users to see only the profiles of those they were friends with on the platform. The gradual opening up of and algorithmization of home feeds of which the TikTok approach is an evolution allows for platforms to serve users with content that they are most likely to engage with and increases opportunities for commercialization.