Set Tweets To Private
Navigate to the Twitter website . Sign in to your Twitter account with the email address and password you used to create the account.
Select the “Security and Privacy” tab.
Check the box next to “Protect My Tweets” in the Privacy section, and then click the “Save” button. Twitter makes all past and future tweets private.
Make Your Profile Private On Twitter
The first method is simple: Make your profile private this will hide followers and following both from your profile. However, your followers will still be able to see the people you follow.
So, if you use this method then take care not to approve Follow requests of users from whom you want to hide your Followers and Following.
In order to make your Twitter profile private follow the steps given below.
3. After redirecting, click Privacy and Safety, and then click Audience and Tagging.
4. Under Audience and Tagging, tick Protect your Tweets, and then click Protect.
5. Thats it! you have successfully put your account to Private.
With this, your account becomes private and non-followers will not able to see your tweets, following or followers.
Now, what if you want to make following invisible for your followers as well. Well, in that case, follow the second method below.
How To Protect Your Twitter Account
Log in to Twitter and then head to the Settings page. You can get there by clicking on the small circular profile picture icon in the top right and then clicking Settings and Privacy.
Next, from the menu on the left, select Privacy and Safety.
Then check the checkbox that says Protect My Tweets.
Scroll down to the bottom and click Save Changes.
Finally, enter your password and click Save Changes again.
And thats it, your account is now private.
Also Check: What Does The Snapchat Logo Mean
What Does The Lock Mean On Twitter
It means that the account is protected. Protected accounts are private.
You can do this by searching the option Protect My Tweets.
But youll need to have your password to log in and approve the change.
About the author
Karen is a senior technical writer and copywriter here at GrowFollowing. Her area of expertize are social media apps and new media.
Explore more on
Say No To Liked Tweets
All Tweets have additional options in their top-right corners that can be accessed by clicking or tapping on the Arrow icon. On certain app versions and web browsers, there should be an option called I dont like this tweet.
If its not there, look for Show me less of this. If you do this enough times, these Tweets will stop appearing because youve directly let Twitter know that you dont want them on your timeline. Thats what makes this a good solution despite the time it takes for Twitter to learn its lesson.
Read Also: Allowing Less Secure Apps
How To Go Private On Twitter
There are a few and easy steps for you to make your account private. You can protect your Twitter account with the following steps on your desktop:
What Happens When I Protect My Tweets
- When you protect your Tweets and make your Twitter account private, only your current followers will be able to see your Tweets.
- Accounts with protected Tweets require each user to request to follow. You are able to manually approve and select who is able to see your Tweets.
- The retweet function is disabled on Tweets you post, so anything you post remains entirely within your account. Your followers are NOT able to share your content, they can only favorite it. You are still able to retweet other public users though.
- Protected Tweets do not appear in search engines like Google and third party sites, like Favstar, are not able to archive them. Protected Tweets are only searchable by you, the owner of the Twitter account, and your followers. Previously posted public Tweets will still be searchable in Google.
- Unless the user in question follows you too, mentions will not be seen by the user in question because they do not have permission to see your Tweets.
Also Check: Linkedin Bullets And Symbols
Turn Off All Retweets
While not about likes, this option might give you some peace when it comes to avoiding Tweets from strangers. If youre using Google Chrome, you can turn off all Retweets manually with relative ease. However, this will take some time, especially if you follow lots of people. This is a workaround method, after all, as Twitter doesnt let you do this.
Note: Youll have to repeat this for each of your new follows.
Make Your Twitter Account Private From A Desktop Computer
The process works for any Mac or PC.
Itll take you about five minutes. And while you are it, we recommend you check all the privacy options.
After you check everything, we¡ll be ready to start.
Next, to protect your tweets:
- Step 1: Open Twitter on your computer.
- Step 2: Click the three-dot icon on the left corner of your screen.
- Step 3: Select Settings and Privacy .
- Step 4: On the Settings page, click Audience and Tagging.
- Step 5: Therell be a box next to Protect your tweets. Tap Protect Your Tweets.
- Step 6: Youll get a warning that when you Protect Your Tweets, theyll be visible to your current followers only.
- Step 7: Tap protect.
Next, youll have to tap save changes, so everything goes through.
From there, you can modify who can tag you and write a new password as well.
Don’t Miss: How To Post Pictures On Twitter
Approving Or Rejecting Follower Requests
With a private Twitter account, anyone who wants to be your follower has to seek your permission. So he/she will have to send a request just like on Facebook. Its up to you to either accept or decline the request.
And the process is pretty straightforward.
Twitter will notify you of any requests after which you can view the profiles of would-be followers. All youll have to do is click either the Accept or Decline buttons on top of the requesting profiles.
What Happens When I Share Media In A Protected Tweet
If your Tweets are protected, only your followers will be able to see your media in your Tweets. Please note that your followers may download or re-share links to media that you share in protected Tweets. Links to media shared on Twitter are not protected. Anyone with the link will be able to view the content.
Read Also: What Is The Symbol For Snapchat
When You Protect Your Tweets
- Youâll receive a request when new people want to follow you, which you can approve or deny.
- Protected Tweets will not appear in third-party search engines .
- Your protected Tweets will only be searchable on Twitter by you and your followers.
- Replies you send to an account that isnât following you will not be seen by that account .
Note: When you share a link in a protected Tweet, it is automatically processed and shortened to an link. Please note that anyone with a t.co shortened link will be able to navigate to the destination URL.
Cons Of A Private Twitter Account
Limited engagement: Taking your Twitter account private definitely stands at odds with the way the platform was designed to function, which is to let anyone view your tweets, regardless of network.
This is especially problematic for anyone trying to build a following on Twitter. Doing so is more challenging with a private account.
Loss of social features: When your account is private, you cant be retweeted, only favorited. However, you can retweet others’ tweets.
You can still be found in a reverse username search: If your Twitter username is similar to or the same as that of other accounts, someone may still be able to discover your identity by performing a reverse username search on your Twitter handle.
Also Check: How Do I Sort My Pinterest Boards Alphabetically
When You Want Only Your Followers To See Your Tweets
- University of Ontario
- George Brown College
is an open platform with many users who enjoy gathering followers and sharing their thoughts with anyone who wants to hear them. If you’re more private, however, you can choose to protect your tweets, which means that only your followers can see your account information and what you post on Twitter. Here’s how to make your Twitter private.
When you first create your Twitter account, your tweets are public by default, and anyone can follow you. If you protect your tweets, you’ll need to individually approve follow requests.
How To Change Your Twitter Password
Good password hygiene means regularly changing your password. Changing your Twitter password is easy.
As instructed above, click on the More tab in the left-hand menu and again select Settings and privacy to go to the Settings page. That page defaults to the Your account tab.
In the right-hand column, select Change your password.
Youll then be asked to enter your existing password, your new password, and then verify the new password.
You must enter your old password before submitting any changes, which helps ensure no one else can change your password without your knowledge.
Also Check: Muting Someone On Instagram
Revealing A Hidden Twitter Account
To make your hidden Twitter account public again, click the gear icon, select Settings, select Security and Privacy, deselect the Protect My Tweets option and then click Save Changes. Manually reversing your decision and changing to a public account from a private one makes all tweets publicly accessible and searchable again through Twitter and search engines. All restrictions are also removed. As a result, Twitter users can reply to and retweet your tweets at any time, as well as copy them to other websites.
How To Make A Twitter Account Public
All Twitter accounts start out as public accounts that allow anyone to search for and view your tweets on or off the website. You must manually change your Security and Privacy area settings to make the account private to block public viewing of your tweets. To make the account public again, you need to access the same area.
Don’t Miss: How To Delete Promotional Emails In Gmail
Pros And Cons Of Private Accounts
When you make a Twitter account private, your past and future tweets on Twitter are hidden from everyone except for followers given approval to see them. The tweets are also hidden from Internet search engines. Past public tweets can still be found online if someone copied any of them to a different website. Your public profile page continue to exist as well, but only displays your profile thumbnail, profile image, username, bio, location and tweet stats. Your followers can read your tweets, but cannot retweet them. Additionally, tweeted replies to non-followers go unseen.
What Will Change When Switching To A Private Twitter Account
Ensure that you understand the implications of keeping your Twitter account and tweets private before making the decision to do so. When you choose to keep your tweets private, other users will have to request to follow you, and you will have to confirm all requests before they will be accepted.
Only followers who have been approved will be able to see your tweets. Other users will not be able to retweet your messages unless they follow you. Moreover, only searches done on Twitter by your approved followers will return results for your tweets since they will not appear in any Google searches at all.
Anything you tweeted when your account was open to the public will now be hidden and will only be visible or searchable by your approved followers, as opposed to the general public. Finally, to share permanent links to your tweets with your authorized followers, you must first have them approve your account.
Recommended Reading: How To View Protected Tweets 2017
What Happens If You Make Your Twitter Account Private
Apart from restricting your tweets, comments, and status updates to only your current followers, here are a few more things that happen when you turn your Twitter account Private:
- With a private account, each Twitter user needs to send you a follow request. Based on the following request, you can manually control who can see your tweets.
- Tweets from a private account dont appear publicly in any search engine. Only you and your followers can search your posts or account in search engines like Google.
- The retweet feature is not available on private Twitter accounts. Even your followers cant retweet your tweets to their feed. They can only mark them as their favourite. However, you can retweet other users posts in your feed and share them with your followers.
- The components or responses youll send to the followers are visible. But, you cant respond or comment on a Twitter account thats not following you.
- Tweet mentions will not be visible to users who dont follow you.
How To Make Twitter Account Private
Do you feel like someone is stalking your Twitter account?
Is that person giving random likes to private replies and old tweets?
Some Twitter users can get creepy.
And instead of blocking all the users one by one, Twitter offers another option to help you with this issue.
You can make Twitter private.
A private account has protected tweets, meaning that only your followers can see your tweets.
Its a great way to protect yourself while using the platform.
And making your public tweets private takes about 5 minutes.
Heres all you need to know:
- How to make Twitter account private?
- What happens when you make your Twitter account private?
- How to unprotect your tweets?
Jump to the specific section:
Recommended Reading: How To Delete All Promotions Emails In Gmail At Once
Bonus Tips: Clear Your Twitter Cache Completely
Another surefire way to improve your security beyond how to make Twitter private is to clear your cache. The cache contains all the content you have read, posted, followed, or liked while on Twitter. Removing this information also removes tracking cookies and relevant private data.
There are some steps you can follow to perform this action specific to the device you are using. The easier solution for iOS users is to use iMyFone Umate Pro.
It can help you erases iOS data permanently from the parts of your device that you select, including third-party apps like Twitter. With only one click, you can delete file fragments safely, private data, hidden , caches, and more.
iMyFone Umate Pro
Erase Data from Any iOS Device
Besides improving your privacy, using iMyFone Umate Pro also can speed up your device. Without tons of data in your cache, your system will operate faster and smoother!
How To Protect And Unprotect Your Tweets
When you sign up for Twitter, you can choose to keep your Tweets public or protect your Tweets. Read more about the difference between public and protected Tweets.
In the top menu, tap your profile photo, then tap Settings and privacy.
Tap Privacy and safety.
Under Audience and tagging, and next to Protect your Tweets, drag the slider to turn on.
In the top menu, you will either see a navigation menu icon or your profile icon. Tap whichever icon you have and select Settings and privacy.
Under Audience and tagging, and next to Protect your Tweets, check the box.
Click or tap on the more icon.
Go to your Settings and privacy.
Go to Audience and tagging, and next to Protect your Tweets, check the box.
You May Like: How To Share Tiktok Video On Instagram
Who Can See My Tweets
- Public Tweets : Are visible to anyone, whether or not they have a Twitter account.
- Protected Tweets: Only visible to your Twitter followers. Please keep in mind, your followers may still capture images of your Tweets and share them.
Note: If you have authorized a third-party application to access your account, that third-party application may be able to see your protected Tweets. Keep in mind that when you choose to share content on Twitter with others, this content may be downloaded or shared.
How Do I Protect My Tweets
Glad you asked. To make your Tweets protected, follow these simple steps.
1. On your home page, click the gear icon to see your Settings.
2. On your Settings page, go to Security and Privacy to view a wide range of options available. To enable protected Tweets and make your account private, tick Protect My Tweets.
3. Youll be asked to enter your Twitter password, just to double-check its definitely you making your account private, or public, if youre unticking.
4. Check if your Tweets are now protected by navigating to your profile page. You should be able to see a little padlock icon next to your Twitter username, like so.
Its as easy as that!
Also Check: How Do You Delete Promotions In Gmail
How To Create A Private Twitter Account In 2022
Twitter is the best place to express your opinion and connect with the world. In several circumstances, we found how effectively people used it to organize protests and making public awareness on social issues.
Everyone wants to be famous on social media. We are taking maximum efforts to increase the number of followers and social reach. An account with maximum followers will have a higher influence rate which will help you in building your own identity and online reputation.
On the other hand, there are a few people who will be not interested in expanding their network and social reach. They are satisfied with the current followers that they personally know and want to stay away from strangers. Is it possible to remain private in social networks?
Yes, of course.