How To Put Twitter On Private Using A Computer
Setting your Twitter account to private allows you to send tweets to your followers without worrying about who else is listening in. With the default public setting, every single message you send may be archived for prosperity, and can be dug up by anyone searching Twitter, Google or even the Library of Congress. Once you change the setting to private, however, Twitter drops all your current followers, and you must approve them individually after they make a new request to get back on your followers list.
Set Tweets To Private
Navigate to the Twitter website . Sign in to your Twitter account with the email address and password you used to create the account.
Select the “Security and Privacy” tab.
Check the box next to “Protect My Tweets” in the Privacy section, and then click the “Save” button. Twitter makes all past and future tweets private.
What Is The Difference Between Public And Protected Tweets
- When you sign up for Twitter, your Tweets are public by default; anyone can view and interact with your Tweets. Should you choose to protect your Tweets, you can do so through your account settings. Learn more protecting your Tweets.
- If you protect your Tweets, youâll receive a request when new people want to follow you, which you can approve or deny. Accounts that began following you before you protected your Tweets will still be able to view and interact with your protected Tweets unless you block them. Learn more about blocking.
Read Also: How To Recover Archived Emails Gmail
Making Your Twitter Profile Private On Your Phone
Now that your Twitter account has been made private, it means that your tweets will no longer be visible to the public. Your tweets will now only be visible to people who already follow you, and moving forwards, people who want to follow you will have to send you a request that you can choose to approve or deny.
However, as Twitter notes, it is possible that your tweets can still be captured via screenshot and shared publicly by someone else, so its not exactly the most perfect scenario, but it should still be good enough if youd rather avoid having random strangers on the internet see and comment on your tweets.
When You Protect Your Tweets
- Youâll receive a request when new people want to follow you, which you can approve or deny.
- Protected Tweets will not appear in third-party search engines .
- Your protected Tweets will only be searchable on Twitter by you and your followers.
- Replies you send to an account that isnât following you will not be seen by that account .
Note: When you share a link in a protected Tweet, it is automatically processed and shortened to an link. Please note that anyone with a t.co shortened link will be able to navigate to the destination URL.
Don’t Miss: What Does Ft Mean In Text On Snapchat
How To Make A Twitter Account Private
When I do Twitter training with professionals, businesses and students I always say lets and make it private, so that you can practise and get to understand Twitter in private first. This seems to take any stress they may have about Twitter away and they relax. Then when they are ready, they can either use a public account they have access to or if they dont have a Twitter account then make the private account they have been using become public.
Remove A Tweet From Your Favorites
Although not the most useful method, you can simply unlike or unfavorite a Tweet if you really dont want others to see that youve liked it.
What Are The Steps To Make My Account Private
First, you will need to log into your Twitter account using your password and username. You will then have to select the;help and settings;icon which can be found at the top right-hand side of your page. Next, choose the part labeled as safety and privacy.; When here, make sure that you check the Protect my tweets box to make your account private. After doing this, go to the bottom of your settings page and choose the save changes option.
Say No To Liked Tweets
All Tweets have additional options in their top-right corners that can be accessed by clicking or tapping on the Arrow icon. On certain app versions and web browsers, there should be an option called I dont like this tweet.
If its not there, look for Show me less of this. If you do this enough times, these Tweets will stop appearing because youve directly let Twitter know that you dont want them on your timeline. Thats what makes this a good solution despite the time it takes for Twitter to learn its lesson.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Blue Checkmark Twitter
How To Screen Followers In A Private Profile
Navigate to your Twitter account homepage.
Next, check for your new followers request. In case you have followers requests, you will see the request on a large button located in the left sidebar. Also, youll receive an email notification alerting you of your new followers requests.
To review your followers requests, click on the button for new followers, and Approve or the request by clicking on the appropriate buttons. Interestingly, the users you decline their requests will not be notified, while those whom you accept will be able to view your tweets.
Revealing A Hidden Twitter Account
To make your hidden Twitter account public again, click the gear icon, select Settings, select Security and Privacy, deselect the Protect My Tweets option and then click Save Changes. Manually reversing your decision and changing to a public account from a private one makes all tweets publicly accessible and searchable again through Twitter and search engines. All restrictions are also removed. As a result, Twitter users can reply to and retweet your tweets at any time, as well as copy them to other websites.
Don’t Miss: Gmail Disable Conversation View
How To Accept Followers On Twitter
wikiHow is a wiki, similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, volunteer authors worked to edit and improve it over time. This article has been viewed 27,073 times.Learn more…
Twitter is one of the most popular social media websites today. What separates Twitter from its competitors is its tweet-and-follow style of sharing. Basically, you post a short, 280-character message called a tweet from your account, visible to those who follow you. If youve just started using Twitter, one of the first important stuff you need to learn is to how to accept your followers on Twitter.
I Have A Twitter Account Now Whats Next
Follow our official account, . Youâll be the first to hear about product news, how-tos, and announcements.
Follow some Topics. Itâs a great way to create a customized Twitter experience for yourself.
Don’t Miss: Gmail Turn Off Threading
What If My Tweets Have Never Been Public
- If your Tweets have never been public , your updates should never show up in Twitter search or other public search engines.
- If they are showing up in search results, change your password immediately and revoke untrusted third-party applications. You can also file a report with the following information:
- When this started happening
- Where you’ve seen your private updates posted
- List any/all third-party applications you use
How To Hide Your Followers & Who You Are Following On Twitter
When you create a public Twitter account, any Twitter user — whether they follow you on the network or not — can visit your profile page on the Web to see your tweets, replies, favorites and lists of people you’re following and being followed by. The only way of hiding your followers and who you’re following is to make your account protected, which will hide most of the other sections on your profile at the same time.
Recommended Reading: Music On Facebook Story
How To Protect And Unprotect Your Tweets
When you sign up for Twitter, you can choose to keep your Tweets public or protect your Tweets. Read more about the difference between public and protected Tweets.
In the top menu, tap the icon, then tap Settings and privacy.
Under Tweets, and next to Protect your Tweets, drag the slider to turn on.
In the top menu, you will either see a navigation menu icon or your profile icon. Tap whichever icon you have and select Settings and privacy.
Under Tweets, and next to Protect your Tweets, check the box.
Go to your Settings and privacy.
Go to Your account and scroll over to Account information and input your password.
Scroll down to Protected Tweets, click the arrow, and check the box next to Protect my Tweets.
You will be prompted to select Cancel or Protect, select Protect.
If you change your mind, to unprotect your Tweets, deselect the box and when prompted and choose Cancel.
Tip #3 Beware Of Phishing Scams
Phishing scams are very effective because they can be very deceptive. Youre emailed a message saying that your account has been hacked, and you need to click the link in order to restore your account. You click on it, enter your login information, and voila, youve been hacked! That was a fake email and a fake site, and you wouldnt know until your private information gets stolen.
In general, dont click on links shared by people you dont know.
Also Check: Can You Mute Someone On Instagram
When You Want Only Your Followers To See Your Tweets
is an open platform with many users who enjoy gathering followers and sharing their thoughts with anyone who wants to hear them. If you’re more private, however, you can choose to protect your tweets, which means that only your followers can see your account information and what you post on Twitter. Here’s how to make your Twitter private.
When you first create your Twitter account, your tweets are public by default, and anyone can follow you. If you protect your tweets, you’ll need to individually approve follow requests.
About Profile Visibility Settings
Below you’ll find information about your profile visibility settings, and how Twitter uses your birth date when added to your profile.
Don’t Miss: How To Change Twitter Handle On Iphone
What Happens If You Protect Tweets
Are you planning on protecting your account? If so, we will show you what happens when you activate this option.;
Regarding your followers.
If any user wants to follow you they have to send a follow request that you will have to accept or reject.
This is only the case for new followers. If someone stops following you while your account is private, and they want to follow you again, they will have to send this request.
· Your account followers cant share your tweets, neither by retweeting nor retweeting with a comment.
If they follow a link from your tweet, and they share it with other users who dont follow you, they wont be able to see your tweet either.
· Only those users following your account and who can see your tweets are able to search and find your content on Twitter.;
Regarding your tweets.
· The tweets you post can only be seen by those that follow you. The same applies to any link to your account, as is the case with Twitter Moments.
· Content you share on Twitter will not appear on any search engine outside the platform, such as Google.
· When you interact with another account, responding to a post for example, the users who see the conversation but dont follow you will not see your tweets.
· Tweets you posted before your account was private are no longer public and will not appear in search results.
It is also recommended that you look over your follow requests. These will not be accepted automatically, you will have to go through them yourself.
Create A Twitter List In The Iphone Or Android Twitter App
- Tap your profiles avatar in the upper-left corner. A menu will pop out. Select Lists.
- Tap the icon with the plus sign in the bottom-right corner
- Enter the name of your list and a brief description. If you want to make the list private, toggle that option on or check the box that says Private .
- In iOS, you can immediately search for users to add to your list. Press the Add button
- In Android, you will be brought back to the Lists page. To add members to your list, go to their profile page, tap the three dots on the top right corner, and select Add to List. You can then select which list you want to add them to .
- To edit your list at any time, go back to the Lists tab. In iOS, select the list, and tap Edit List. In Android, select the list, tap the three dots on the top right, and tap Edit List.
Read Also: How To Find Archived Emails
Changing From A Public To Private Account
- Go to Settings and Privacy.
- Click;on Protect Your Tweets to turn on private mode.Now your account will have a Padlock beside your name.
So going forward if you want to have a private account you can now see how easy it is to change from public to private. If you want to return to a public account just go back:
- Go to Settings and Privacy.
Use Adblock Plus For Firefox
Ad blockers for browsers are more powerful now than ever. They can block ads in many shapes and forms. They can even block sponsored Tweets as these can really ruin the vibe by appearing everywhere. Even worse, certain Tweet likes also fall under this category.
One way to fight this is that has the Element Hiding Helper function. By letting you filter out an area of a Tweet, it helps you get rid of not just sponsored Tweets, but also the Who to follow,Analytics,Moments, and many other panels.
The only issue with this method is that it tends to hide others Tweets on your profile, as well as Tweets that youve posted that contain images. This means that it gets increasingly easy to miss others replies to your posts, so if you want to give this method a try, dont forget to check for tweets and comments with photos occasionally.
Also Check: Az Screen Recorder Snapchat Notification
How To Make Your Account Private On Twitter
Before switching your Twitter account from the public, you should know the following.
- Your tweets will be viewed by those on your followers list only.
- You will have to approve the followers requests manually.
- All your tweets will only appear on twitter searches made by those on your following list but not in google searches.
- Other Twitter users will not be able to retweet you. Similarly, your retweets will only be visible to your approved members only.
- All your previous public tweets will become private and only visible to your approved followers.
- Your permanent links will only be shared with your approved followers.
Still, want to make your profile private? Well, lets get rolling.
How To Enable Dual
Dual-factor authentication acts as an additional layer of security against account takeover/hacking. It requires you to use both your password and mobile phone as verification methods when logging in.
To enable this feature, visit the settings page by clicking on your icon-sized profile picture on the top right corner of any Twitter page and select Settings.
Select Mobile from the left navigation bar and add the phone number you wish to receive login requests from. You may access this page directly by visiting .
After your number has been entered, visit the security and privacy tab and enable Login Verification.
Recommended Reading: How To Retrieve Archived Emails In Gmail
How To Protect Your Tweets
- You can make your Twitter account private and ensure that only the people you want to see your posts can.
- Public Twitter accounts are accessible both to users of the site, and anyone on the internet who finds your profile.
- It only takes a few clicks or taps in your Settings menu to make your Twitter account private.
- Visit Business Insiders homepage for more stories.
While celebrities and businesses use their Twitter accounts to promote their projects and products, for the average user, the social media website is often more about sharing the news we care about and the details of our day-to-day lives.
While many people might not care who sees the messages they post, some would prefer to keep their thoughts and random observations private. Thankfully, making your Twitter account private is simple and straightforward.
A private Twitter account means that whatever you post can only be seen by your followers, all of whom you have to manually approve.
This also means that anyone who doesnt follow you or doesnt have permission to view your feed wont be able to see your tweets.