How To Find Volunteering Work On Linkedin
Using LinkedIns search platform, networking, and reaching out to appropriate volunteering positions is a practical way to find volunteering experience.
Heres how to do it!
If you want to find volunteer opportunities on LinkedIn, you should:
- Define your role and the field in which you want to volunteer.
- In the LinkedIn Jobs search, type volunteer writer for example.
- Then, use the Job Type filter to narrow down your results to Volunteer.
Bonus tip: you can also turn on the Alert for any new positions available for this specific search by clicking on the option Set alert under the Job filters.
Youll find plenty of nonprofits and businesses asking for volunteers this way.
However, if youve ever tried to discover meaningful volunteer experience employment, you know that the process may be just as difficult as obtaining a paid job.
So hang in there!
After you do your research on LinkedIn, you can browse over the employment requirements and get ready to approach them using LinkedIn outreach best practices, and/or an automation tool like Waalaxy.
Include Any Leadership Roles You Have Held In Your Volunteer Work
Volunteering is one way you can get valuable leadership experience, which may give you an advantage in the interview process. Serving on a volunteer leadership board or in another leadership position can help you develop skills like prioritization and flexibility, along with a greater knowledge of the organization’s mission. Companies value candidates with prior leadership experience, especially if they can connect that leadership experience to the job. If a hiring manager asks you about prior leadership experience, consider discussing any volunteer leadership roles you have filled and explaining what you learned from serving in that capacity.
Related:Guide to Self-Leadership
Linkedin Members Who Want To User Their Skills For Good:
- Out of the 4+ million members who want to use their skills for good, three quarters want to serve as volunteers.
- Younger workers in particular are looking for ways to give back, Generation X and mid-career professionals represent 21% and baby boomers and senior leaders 21%.
- 38% of aspiring volunteers are in the U.S., but the UK and India are rapidly growing. The top location within the United States is Bloomington, Indiana.
- Members who want to give back come from a range of industries and job functions many are in IT, marketing, consulting and product management.
- The top skills these would-be volunteers have include management, customer service, leadership, project management and strategic planning.
Don’t Miss: How To Add Picture To Tweet
How To Add Volunteer Experience On Linkedin Account Via Android Or Ios App
Open the LinkedIn app on your Android or iOS device and follow the steps mentioned below to add volunteer experience on Linkedin.
- Tap on the small icon with three horizontal lines on the top-left of the screen.
- Tap on View Profile.
- Tap on the + icon on the bottom-right of the screen.
- Choose Background from the list of options. Then tap on + icon near volunteer experience.
- A new window will appear to add your volunteer experience . Here you can add details like the name of the organisation, role, cause, time period and a detailed description. Only the name of the organisation and role is mandatory to fill in, you may choose to hide the rest of the information according to your convenience.
- Tap on Save on the top-right of the screen. Your volunteer experience will be automatically added to your profile.
- Scroll down on your profile to see or re-check the same. You can also edit it by clicking on the Pen icon on the right side. In case you want to add new volunteer experience, click on the + sign .
- In order to rearrange the added experiences, scroll up and tap on Reorder. Three horizontal lines will appear next to each added experience. Tap on it and drag up or down to rearrange according to your preference. Tap on Save.
What Counts As Volunteer Experience On Linkedin
Volunteering is a great way to enhance your skills and stand out as an individual. With this in mind, you must include any volunteer work on your profile so people can see who theyre networking with before communicating with you. Any unpaid work that you have done for a specific cause counts as volunteer experience. Think of the Volunteer Experience section as a crucial part of your LinkedIn profile.
You May Like: How Do I Know If Im Blocked On Whatsapp
Where To Add Volunteering On A Resume
Volunteering can, fortunately, quickly translate into leadership abilities, which can be extremely beneficial in the workplace.
Volunteering experience may not always equate to work experience. However, along with internships, its the next best thing.
Alternatively, it might be quite beneficial if your volunteer experience:
- Is relevant to your profession or career.
- Balances out your little paid experiences or little work experiences.
- Fills in a gap in your professional experiences.
Thus, its reasonable to conclude that volunteering experience on your resume or LinkedIn profile is beneficial.
Furthermore, if you want your CV to stand-out event more when you post it to LinkedIn, then you can add it in carousel format! If you dont know what it is, we have prepared this article in order to give you all the information you need to know.
To upload your CV to your LinkedIn profile, you can just follow these simple steps:
- Go to the Featured section in your profile page,
- Go to Media and click + button again to add it.
- A pop-up will appear to Add media,
- Add a title and a description if required,
- And lastly, click on Save.
Thats it, your CV will be featured in your LinkedIn profile!
Afterwards, you can Edit it by using the pencil button in the Featured section, and you can move it around to the first place too, in order to make it the first thing that pops out in your LinkedIn profile page.
Add Volunteer Experience To Your Linkedin Profile
You can now beef up your LinkedIn profile by adding any volunteer experience, a list of causes that you care about, and any organizations you support.
After all, volunteering is as good for your career as it is for those you help. And your volunteer efforts are one more way to generate publicity.
Heres how to add this new section to your Profile.
Step 1: Log into Your Account.
Step 2: In the Menu bar at the top, click on Profile > Edit Profile.
Step 3: Scroll down to just before the Summary and click on Add Sections.
Read Also: How To See Someones Private Twitter
Get Help With Linkedin Profile Optimization
Optimizing your LinkedIn profile doesnt have to be difficult, but unfortunately, doing it manually can be overwhelming and consume much of your time. The good news is that you can use LinkedIn profile makeover tools to enhance your profile. One of the best tools in this niche is the Dripify .
Did you know that optimizing your LinkedIn profile can make it stand out against 95% of other LinkedIn accounts? Yes, thats absolutely true. Proper optimization not only helps boost profile views but also increases engagement and higher chances of connecting with leads and potential employers.
Optimizing your LinkedIn profile with Dripify comes with the following benefits:
Here is how you can get started on your LinkedIn profile optimization journey with Dripify tool.
Add Volunteer Work To Your Linkedin Profile
When you think of a LinkedIn profile, you probably envision a listing of places a person has worked for a paycheck. But, what about unpaid volunteer work? Does it count? Should it be listed? Absolutely!
I recently read about a study done by that said 41% of hiring managers think volunteer experience is as important as paid work. People are naturally inclined to like and do business with others who believe the same things they do. Your volunteer activities reflect your values. So, include it.
There are lots of places to show your volunteer work on your . Heres the quick list of sections: Volunteer Experience, Work Experience, Summary, Projects, Organizations and Interests. But, how do you know which section is the best place to put it.
First, there are a few things you might want to take into consideration. When did you volunteer? What did you do ? What organization was it? Is it relevant to your past, current or future work? Did you volunteer to fill a work gap during unemployment? Can you get recommendations for your volunteer work? Is there a description or title for the work you did?
The word volunteer implies unpaid. That doesnt mean it wasnt work. A few years back, I was the Volunteer Coordinator for two huge day-long events held in the same calendar year. I have this listed as a Work Experience for number of reasons.
No two volunteer gigs are the same though. So, here are some criteria for helping you decide where to put them on your LinkedIn profile:
Read Also: How Do I Uninstall Pinterest App
S To Remove Volunteer Experience On Linkedin
There could be many different reasons you want to remove your volunteer experience on the professional networking platform. Maybe you want to remove an experience and add it again with more or correct information. Or you might want to simply remove an experience that isnt relevant or one thats not helping you professionally.
In any case, follow these simple steps to remove volunteer experience onLinkedIn:
- Log into your LinkedIn account and head over to the Me sign at the top of the homepage.
- Choose the Edit option showing against the experience you want to delete.
How To Add Volunteering Experience To Your Linkedin Profile
Heres how to add the volunteering experience section to your LinkedIn profile:
4. Fill in the information as specifically as you can .
5. Then, hit Save and publish it to your profile.
Wondering how to structure your volunteering experience in the above section?
Here are some best practices:
- Ideally, your volunteering experience should be somewhatrelated to your work experience . For example, if you work in tech, you could say you held a volunteer position at the Red Cross as a software engineer. Handled programming duties, including web design, web design, and more.
- Be specific with your duties and responsibilities. Try to include any numbers or data. For example, how much money you saved them, what your volunteering work accomplished, and so on.
- Include what you learned and also focus on soft skills. Things like empathy, personal development, leadership and interpersonal skills matter in any job environment.
Even if you dont adhere to this format, its worth noting that you cant go wrong with listing volunteer experience on LinkedIn. Of course, as long as its accurate and factual.
Now, lets take a look at some volunteer work examples on LinkedIn from influencers and thought leaders who do it right.
Also Check: How To View Archived Emails On Gmail
How To Get Relevant Volunteering Experience For Linkedin
If you want to help your NGO be more developed on the internet, specifically on LinkedIn, then you can use which offers a solution to this problem.
Successful NGOs, according to LinkedIn, are built on a foundation of active communities: community members they need to contact, organizations with whom they want to partner, people willing to help, and online networking.
Therefore, LinkedIn for Nonprofits offers considerable discounts on most of its products, including Talent, Fundraising, Marketing, and Learning solutions, to eligible organizations to assist them achieve their aim of saving money.
Bucking Conventional Career Wisdom Linkedin Says Volunteer Work Is An Important
According to new research from LinkedIn, volunteering is just as beneficial to your career as it is to those you help. That’s why it has rolled out a new profile section, “Volunteer Experience and Causes,” to help you highlight how you’ve contributed to your community.
LinkedIn surveyed 2,000 professionals in the U.S. and found that 89 percent have volunteer experience, but only 45 percent include their volunteer work on their resume.
“Professionals often have the misconception that volunteer work doesnt qualify as real work experience,” says Nicole Williams, connection director at LinkedIn and an . “You may be a sales person by trade, but if you organized your nonprofit’s fundraising event, you can add skills like event planning or event marketing to your profile. Having those additional skills can potentially make you a more attractive employee and business partner.”
Indeed, hiring managers agree that volunteer work can be counted as relevant professional experience. Forty-one percent of those surveyed stated that when they evaluate candidates, they consider volunteer work equally as valuable as paid work experience. One out of 5 hiring managers surveyed say they have made a hiring decision based on a candidate’s volunteer work experience.
Williams says that whether you’re employed or unemployed, including volunteer work on your LinkedIn profile is essential in the current economic climate.
Other job-related benefits of volunteer work include, according to Williams:
Also Check: How To Retrieve Archived Emails In Google
Should You Put Volunteering On Linkedin
Indeed! Volunteering is a great way to get your name out there and indicate that youve worked for a cause and helped people in need. Putting this experience on LinkedIn will allow potential employers or leads to get an insider look into who you really are, what matters most to you, or the causes you care about. This information will give you a competitive edge when recruiters or leads search for professionals or businesses on LinkedIn.
How To Add Volunteer Experience On Linkedin
Volunteer work is essential for many different reasons, and when it comes to LinkedIn, it plays a crucial role in growing your network and tapping into career and business opportunities. It is a good idea to add volunteer experience to LinkedIn as it establishes your personal brand, helps grow your career, and boosts your social capital.
As per the results of a LinkedIn survey, 41% of managers and employers said they would hire someone based on their volunteer experience. While work experience is vital, adding volunteer experience to LinkedIn plays an equally vital part in your job search or lead generation efforts.
When you mention your volunteer work on the platform, it highlights your personal values, causes you care about, leadership skills, and initiative to instigate change.
Compassion, empathy, motivation, honesty, teamwork abilities, and communication skills are just some of the elements that volunteer experience can contribute to your LinkedIn profile.
Don’t Miss: Linkedin Description
Take The Time To Request Recommendations
Take time to . Recommendations from people you have worked with carry a lot of weight. To a potential employer, a LinkedIn recommendation is like a reference in advance.
One way to get recommendations is to give them. When you , you are attesting to their qualifications, and people love being recommended. They will most likely reciprocate if you take the time to recommend them. Another way to get recommendations is to request them from your former bosses , mentors, and/or college professors.
On a “what not to do on LinkedIn” note, don’t ask people you don’t know for references. That’s not how to ask for a recommendation, even if you do know the person.
Board Of Directors Linkedin Profile How
1. Click the Me arrow under your photo on the LinkedIn navigation bar, then select View Profile under your name.
2. Click the Add New Profile Section button on right side of profile, then select the + symbol to the right of Volunteer Experience.
-OR- scroll down to your Volunteer Experience section and click the + symbol.
In either case, please do not list your Board service as Work Experience.
3. Under Organization, start typing in Danceworks. As you begin typing, LinkedIn will populate a drop-down menu with results:
Make sure to select Danceworks, Inc. with the Danceworks D logo to its left. If you select a different organization or use a version without the Danceworks logo, viewers of your profile will not be able to visit the Danceworks LinkedIn page by clicking it.
4. Start typing in your Role:Please use Board Member. As you begin typing, LinkedIn will again populate a drop-down menu with results:
5. Fill in the other details. Select Arts and Culture as Danceworks primary cause. Add the month and year your board service began . Check I currently volunteer here.
7. Dont forget to click Save!
This is how your final product should appear:
8. If you have other Volunteer Experiences listed, you may need to click and drag Danceworks so that it is visible on your profile . Use the three lines under the Edit button to move your Experience with Danceworks up or down the list.
Read Also: How To Retrieve Archived Mail
Include Volunteer Experience And Causes
A reports that volunteer experience can give job candidates an edge with hiring managers. 41% of the professionals surveyed stated that when they are evaluating candidates, they consider volunteer work equally as valuable as paid work experience. 20% of the hiring managers surveyed have made a hiring decision based on a candidate’s volunteer work experience. To add the Volunteer Experience and Causes field to your LinkedIn Profile:
- After logging in, click “Profile” at the top of LinkedIn.
- Select “Volunteer Experience.”
What Else To Showcase
Finally, if youre still unsure as to what you should feature in your LinkedIn portfolio, here are some different ideas:
- Letter of recommendation.
- Social proof and client success.
- Work samples.
- A video introduction of yourself and your brand.
- A short version of your resume .
- Your skills and achievements in an infographic.
- Personal branding elements to come across as relatable and build rapport.
- Next steps on what a prospect who lands on your profile can take .
- FAQ of what you do.
- And more.
You May Like: How To Unarchive Gmail On Iphone