How To Choose A Strong Twitter Username
When it comes to securing a new username, you should make sure youre doing it wisely, because its not easy to repeat the process regularly. Plus, you cant take the risk of losing your followers.
Try the following tips when transitioning to a new Twitter handle:
- Be consistent: Using the same username on all social media platforms helps your friends spot you and keep track of your activities.
- Be original: If you want others to find your Twitter profile, you should pick your real name and not a fake one. If its not a personal account, you should still find a relevant name that speaks for you.
- Be memorable: Think of a short, lovely, and easy-to-remember handle. This way, others are more likely to mention you in their tweets.
- Be futuristic: Ask yourself what made you want to change your username. And what factors you should consider to avoid that happening again in the future. Make sure that five years later, itll still be useful for your account.
How To Change Your Twitter Handle
This guide will show how to change your handle via the Twitter mobile app, but the steps are nearly identical on the website.
1. Swipe right to open the side menu, and tap Settings and privacy at the bottom.
2. Tap Account, and then Username.
3. Enter your new name. You might also be given some suggestions tap any of these to set it as your username immediately.
4. Tap Done to save your new handle.
Quick tip: If you’re looking to change your display name the larger and longer name that’s at the top of your profile and all your tweets you’ll need to open your profile page, not settings. Check out our article for more details.
Steven John contributed to a previous version of this article.
How To Change Your Twitter Handle And Display Name
You don’t always think of the perfect username when you’re making an account, and that definitely applies when we’re talking about Twitter.
Maybe you want something fun, or just something with more of a ring to it, but you can’t come up with anything. So you default to one of the basic suggested handles with your first and last name, and maybe a number or something…until one day it hits you.
Damn, that would’ve been the perfect Twitter handle, you think to yourself. I wish I could change it.
Well, random Twitter user out there, we’re thrilled to tell you that you can, indeed, change it. Follow the steps below to learn how you can finally have the Twitter handle of your dreams .
Read Also: Bullet Points On Linkedin
How To Change Your Twitter Name And Username
There might be various reasons why you may want to change name on . However, whatever is the reason, this is a very simple process and can be done in just seconds. Those who are using Twitter for long must be well aware of the process, however, if you are new to Twitter and do not know how to change your Twitter name or Username, know it here. We have explained both things, changing Name and Username in Twitter.
How To Change Your Display Name On Twitter
Harry Guinness is a photography expert and writer with nearly a decade of experience. His work has been published in newspapers like The New York Times and on a variety of other websites, from Lifehacker to Popular Science and Medium’s OneZero. Read more…
Unlike Facebook, Twitter has never insisted people user their real names. In fact, theres a long tradition of people changing their names to a joke or pun because its Christmas or Halloween, or just for no reason at all.
Just this week, half the How-To Geek staff changed their name to Justin Pot, just to annoy the real Justin Pot. Even The Geek himself got in on the act.
So lets look at how to change your name on Twitter so you can take part in awful collective jokes .
Log in to Twitter and head to your profile page.
Select the text box with your name.
Enter a new one.
Read Also: See A Private Twitter
How To Change Your Twitter Handle On Iphone Android Or Web
Learn how to change your Twitter handle and find out what goes into creating a great Twitter handle for your business.
Its time to change your Twitter handle. Maybe youve grown tired of the name you chose when you joined in 2007, or maybe it just doesnt represent who you are anymore.
Maybe youre a business and youve gone through a rebrand or name change.
Whatever the reason, changing your Twitter handle is a quick and easy process that will make logging on more enjoyable than ever before.
In this article well go over how to change your Twitter handle from a mobile app or desktop computer. The steps for each method are very similar. Here we go!
Bonus:Download the free 30-day plan to grow your Twitter following fast, a daily workbook that will help you establish a Twitter marketing routine and track your growth, so you can show your boss real results after one month.
What If Your Chosen Username Is Not Available
Twitter boasts about 330 million active users per month, which means your desired username is very likely to be occupied by another person.
There are a few things you can do when facing the unavailable red sign. The first one is to make some smart modifications. But remember that you shouldnt deviate from your main identity. Here are some recommendations:
- Add some underscores or hyphens to your username.
- Shorten the name or replace it with a nickname.
- Use the abbreviation of your location at the end of your username.
- Add the in front of your name, if possible.
- Begin your username with This is or I am.
- Type some letters more than once but dont overdo it.
- Add words such as join, queen, daily, or whatever that introduces you the best.
However, if you insist on choosing a particular username and its taken by an inactive user, you should figure out a way to contact them and ask for their permission.
The owner may be nice enough to let you take it for free. But if they ask for money, youd better forget about the username, because Twitter is against username trading, and it may shut off your account altogether.
You May Like: How To Shut Down Twitter Account
How To Change Your Twitter Display Name
Step 1: Log in to your Twitter account
Like before, log in to Twitter with your username and password. Note: This can also be done in the app.
Step 2: Head to your profile
In order to access your profile, click on your portrait on the left of the screen and then select Profile on the app. On the website, click on the Profile option on the left side of the screen.
Next, select Edit profile. Its a big, hard-to-miss button on the upper right-hand side of the screen in both the app and the website.
Step 3: Change your Twitter display name
Type in your desired name it can be 50 characters or fewer now in the Name text field located directly below your profile picture. Unlike your username, your display name doesnt have to be unique to your account and can even include emojis.
When youre finished, click Save on the right-hand side of the page to save your new display name.
And thats it! You can change your name on Twitter as many times as youd like following these instructions. As mentioned before, however, if you have a verified account, changing your username will cause you to lose your verification check mark. It can also be confusing to your followers if you are constantly changing your name. After all, with great power comes great responsibility. Happy tweeting!
How Do I Change My Rebellion Username
How to Change Your Riot Games ID and Username
Don’t Miss: Why Is My Ig Reach So Low
Change Twitter Handle Using The Mobile App
Charing your username / Twitter handle using Twitters mobile app is also quite easy. Just follow the steps, and you will be done in no time.
1. First, tap on the profile icon at the top, and then open Settings and privacy.
2. Here, go to Account -> Username.
3. Now, tap on the empty area below New and tap on Continue.
4. Finally, type your new username and tap on Done to save the changes.
How To Change Your Twitter Username/handle Using Windows Mac Linux Or Chromebook
If youre using a computer for Twitter, whether its a desktop PC or a laptop, then changing your username/Twitter handle is similar across platforms. Since Twitter isnt dependent on the operating system that your computer is using, the instructions are the same. This is the username that uniquely identifies you on Twitter, unlike the Twitter display name mentioned later.
To change your Twitter username/Twitter handle, do the following:
Don’t Miss: How To Edit Instagram Pictures After Posting
Change Twitter Username Android
If you might be an Android consumer and feature get a hold of a brand new concept for a Twitter care for, you can cross about switching your username as follows.
- Now, to find the Settings and Privacy segment below your profile.
- Type in the username you need and make certain that it is available for you.
- Now you click on on Done. Your settings will be saved.
- Go via more than a few profiles and see how creatively they have got come up with their Twitter handles after which choose the one who suits you the best.
- Make your username easy on the eyes.
- Dont add too many underscores and dont toggle the cases too much.
How To Make Sure Your Desired Username Is Inactive
First of all, you should look for an egg in their avatars. This means the person hasnt tweeted for months, or the number of their following/followers hasnt changed for quite some time.
However, you still cant judge a book just by its cover. This is because not all signs of user activity are visible through their profile. Twitter bases such decisions on log in activities, and that kind of data isnt available to the public.
You May Like: How To Add Music To Facebook Story With Multiple Photos
I Cant Change The Twitter How To Fix Twitter Handle
Cant you change Twitter handle? Calm down. There is a solution.
- The username you selected may have been using by another Twitter user.
- You may have selected a username longer than 15 characters.
- The selected username may contain illegal characters.
- You may have selected a user name that is not appropriate for Twitter.
- There may be a temporary problem with the Twitter service, and you may not be able to trade during that time. Wait for a few minutes, and continue the process.
Before You Change Your Username
- if you change your Twitter handle, Twitter wont automatically redirect any visitors clicking your old Twitter handle or visiting your old profile URL to your new profile.
- once your switch to a new Twitter handle, your old username can be claimed by other Twitter users as it becomes free
- you can change your Twitter handle as many times as you want, there is no limit
- other people wont be notified that you changed your Twitter username or display name
Given you are likely using a Twitter app on your mobile phone, I will show you first how to change your username from a mobile device.
Heads up! You might be searching for an option to change your Twitter username in your profile page – its not there.
As intuitive as we might think it would be, Twitter decided to hide this setting inside Settings and Privacy.
Recommended Reading: Numbers On Snapchat Meaning
Ranking In The Search Results
If it doesnt look awkward and you have space, adding a keyword for your sector to your username might make you easier to find on the network.
With these tips, you can start thinking about what Twitter username you want for your profile. Remember, when youve thought of one, click save to finalize your changes.
If you have any queries, well be waiting in the comments section.
How To Change Your Display Name/handle On Twitter Using Android Or Ios/iphone
Once again, the process to change your Twitter handle or username is similar to the Desktop/Laptop version because Twitter performs the same on any platform. To change your Twitter handle, perform the following steps:
You May Like: How To Allow Snapchat Access To My Camera
What If Twitter Will Not Allow Me To Change My Username Or Display Name
In the event that you are having trouble changing your Twitter username, ensure that your Twitter account is activated. Also, bear in mind that some usernames cannot be used, because they are already in use, or for a number of other reasons, including:
- Usernames, or handles containing the words or Admin cannot be claimed. These words are reserved for official Twitter accounts only.
- Twitter usernames, or handles, cannot be longer than 15 characters.
- Twitter usernames, or handles can only contain alphanumeric characters with the exception of underscores .
How Do I Swap The Username From One Twitter Account I Own To Another
If you’re trying to move a username from one of your accounts to another of your accounts, you can do this yourself.
- Log into the account that currently has the desired username.
- Change the username to something else . This will immediately free up the username for use by other accounts.
- Log into your other account and change the username to the desired username.
Note: Once youâve changed your username, it returns to general circulation and may be selected by another account.
Deactivating an account will not immediately free up the username.
Don’t Miss: How To Put Picture On Twitter
Why Is Your Twitter Handle Important
Your Twitter handle is a reflection of what you are and what youre doing on that page. Its the first thing your followers come across when visiting your profile. So, it can determine the very first impression they can make about you.
Also, your username is a means by which other users can search, contact, and tag you.
How To Change Twitter Handle With Mobile App
Step 1: Launch Twitter mobile app.
Step 2: Tap your Twitter profile avatar.
Step 3: You will see a side menu panel on the left, scroll a little down until you see Settings and Privacy – tap it.
Step 4: Tap Account.
Step 5: Tap Username
Step 6: Inside Update username, tap the New username field. You might see a prompt Are you sure you want to change your username – tap Continue.
Step 7: Type in the new username you want to change to. Your username must be at least 4 characters long and 15 characters or less. Additionally, it can contain only letters, numbers, and underscores and no spaces. In case the username is not available or you are using any of the non-supported characters, Twitter will output an error message.
Step 8: Once you type in the username that is available, just tap Done in the upper right corner.
Thats all! You just changed your Twitter handle on your account!
Also Check: Clear Conversations Snapchat
How Do I Change My Staff Background
Change your background during a meeting
Why Should I Change It
If you want to change the Twitter handle, it should be a valid reason. If you do this frequently at random times, you will damage your account. Its like changing your name on your ID. Do you change your name frequently? Of course, no. Only in mandatory cases. For example, you can do this when the name or concept of your business name changes. Or you can do it because of some security measures. When you first sign up for Twitter, you should select your most appropriate username and use it to avoid such situations. You can also change your Twitter name. There are different settings for this. However, doing this will not affect your existing followers, direct messages, or replies. You can see the username next to your profile.
You May Like: How To Secretly Take A Screenshot On Snapchat
How To Change Your Twitter Handle In 5 Easy Steps
As with most social media platforms, when Twitter first launched, it was an informal platform for people to connect with peers, thought leaders, and even celebrities. Now, it’s evolved into a powerful marketing tool that many brands rely on.
But what happens if your former Twitter username, otherwise known as a handle, no longer reflects you or your brand? Well, there’s an easy fix. Here, we’ll show you how to change your Twitter handle on your desktop and the mobile app.